Personal Injury

Injury wheelchair1

A personal injury claim can occur in a variety of ways.  The Shumate Law Offices represents individuals injured in auto accidents, work injuries, and various other types of injury claims.  Each of these cases is commonly referred to as a "personal injury" claim.  

As the plaintiff / victim in a personal injury claim, you suffer in a variety of ways.  You cope with physical pain, emotional turmoil, and increased stress regarding how to acquire and pay for medical treatment.  The stress of an accident is quite difficult on your family as well.  Regardless of the injuries sustained, North Carolina law gives you the opportunity to seek damages as a result of your personal injury.  Mr. Shumate seeks to recover damages for a variety of items, such as your medical bills, your lost wages, and your pain and suffering. We also assist clients with associated issues such as property damage claims.  

The Shumate Law Offices are focused on helping you and obtaining compensation for your damages due to car and motorcycle accidents, dog bites, defective products, elder abuse, etc. Chris Shumate is a dedicated and aggressive Charlotte personal injury attorney with an established record of results.  

In North Carolina, it is against the law to injure another person through negligence.  A negligence claim is commonly referred to as a tort action.  N.C. Courts and juries may award monetary compensation those who have been injured as a result of another individual's negligence. The theory behind awarding money damages to you following an injury is to make you whole in the eyes of the law, as there is no way to undo the injury itself. As the Court can only order that damages be paid, a significant part of any tort case is assigning the proper dollar value to the Plaintiff's damages. The damages include medical bills, lost wages, lost earning potential, property damages, etc. Every case is unique and the amount of damages varies widely.  It is important to have an experienced, persuasive advocate to ensure  you get the maximum compensation.

Mr. Shumate has years of prior experience representing insurance companies.  How does this experience representing Defendants (the other side) help you?  Simply stated, Chris thoroughly understands how your case is going to be investigated, evaluated, and defended.  Mr. Shumate utilizes years of on-the-job experience against the insurance companies, for your benefit.  

Following your accident, you have a limited amount of time to pursue compensation for your damages. The legal term for this time period is called the statute of limitations.  If you do not file a lawsuit within the allotted time, you lose the right to pursue your claim and are never allowed to sue the offending party for your damages.  The simplest way to avoid this pitfall is to consult Mr. Shumate promptly following your accident regarding the best course of action for your case.

North Carolina is one of the few states that applies the theory of contributory negligence in negligence cases. If the Defendant can prove that you, the Plaintiff, were negligent and that negligence contributed to your injury, you cannot recover any damages. For example, you are driving 5 mph over the speed limit through an intersection and the Defendant runs a stop sign and hits you. If the Court finds that you were 1% at fault for speeding and the other person was 99% at fault for running a stop sign, you recover nothing under the theory of contributory negligence.  Contributory negligence is a very harsh law.  The law leads to many very unfair results.  You must understand insurance companies use this law to their favor.  You should never provide a statement to an insurance company without first consulting a reputable attorney prior.  Insurance adjusters are trained to elicit statements from accident victims that can be used to deny their claims.  

Given the North Carolina law, it can be difficult to prove both the liability (fault) of the Defendant and the appropriate amount of your damages.  It is critical that you immediately contact Mr. Shumate for a free consultation after your accident to ensure your case starts on a positive track.   We want to assist you to obtain the maximum recovery. Contact our firm today for a free consultation, and let Mr. Shumate explain the various aspects of your personal injury case.   

Aggressive, Personal, and Effective Representation

Shumate Law Offices

Shumate new small

At The Shumate Law firm, we work daily to maintain a consistent track record of positive legal results for you, earning your confidence and trust.

Contact Us

Contact Us for a Free Consultation!

Menu